Wednesday, February 25, 2009

..i WanT to DatE liKe mY MoTheR... DedIcated to My MOmmY & Daddy the bEst DUo...



I blame my addiction to hip hop and my attraction to unlady like rap songs that are stained in lyrics about the street, only haven one beat, and bein quick on ya feet, drugs, hoes, clothes to my father. To all of you who i hate that i'd rather bump JAy, Wayne, Ti and Drake before Beyonce, Rihanna, Neyo, or Keisha Cole blame him. Damn him for putten the hunger for hip hop in my DNA. Who told him to slip that in my blood like a date rape drug? Sneakie him its the best mistake he eva made. I goggled him the otha day and found his vinyl on sale online. Pops is semi famous but his always been iconic in my eyes.

I am a product of a biracial love story with a soundtrack full of Stevie Wonder and SuperSonic tracks to accompany a chance meeting on a fly by night in the LA area. I thank my mother for that nite taken a chance with the black dude who had all the ladies and the sWag oh yea...im talken bout my dad. I gueSS she knowS hoW to piCk um.


I want to date like my mother. Sometimes I hear her voice when I ride in cars with boys, “ It’s okay to just be friends. Date and see what you like.” Oh mommy if it was only that easy. I try to imagine her as a young lady in 80’s clubs looken for “friends” while dancing to Cool and the Gang and Run DMC. How did she know who and what to stay away from? Has she been hurt beyond repair once before in her younger years and I Just don’t know? She loves fearlessly. I want to date like my mother.
I suggested maybe shit has changed since the 80’s. “ Mommy Im dealin with a nu breed of dudes these days! They don’t care about me or themselves. Okay take that back maybe all they care about is themselves. They come from daddies who didn’t fall in love with their mothers. And mothers who warn them about loving girls without asking there heart and brain permission first. ” And then I hear her breath as only she can “Men will be men. Whether it’s the 80’s or 2009.”
She tells me she was my weight a little shorter than me and never stick skinny. Damn who knu I’d be her mirror image? She lied down only to get up and nine months later push out her self. I sat down and asked my mom how the hell her dating expereiences went so smooth? Im 23 and I feel like I’ve lived every major high love drama movie out on the shelves at Blockbuster. Where’s the baby daddy drama? Ike and Tina re-enactments? Maury worthy drama? Tears and flat tires? Was there ever any 808’s and Heartbreaks worthy moments? She simply stated, “ No I knu what I wanted and wat I didn’t want. “ Another simply stated statement from the simple dating woman. When will I learn to be like her? I want to date like my mother.

No comments: